Saturday, January 14, 2012

Loooonnnnngggg day in the kitchen

It's been a long productive day!  And it's not over yet!  I still have three chicken roasters to debone and bag before I head to bed. Currently they are cooling so that I can handle them.  So, while I wait, I thought I would recap our day.  I was able to get everything I could get done, done.  There are a couple of more things on my list that need doing, but I can't do yet as they need defrosting, or some other step to be complete.  Hopefully this means we can start the intro diet tomorrow.  I decided that spending an extra day prepping would be worth waiting an extra day.

All the girls helped out in the kitchen today.  They were VERY helpful.  There would be no way that we would have gotten everything done if they hadn't helped.  Here is Flannery chopping some apples for applesauce.  Applesauce doesn't come until stage four or five.  But Jed may have issues with his blood sugar, like the last time, and I want to have this on hand.  I have a couple of things lined up for him should he need it.  I was trying to make sure it was closer to being gaps legal, and closer to stage 1 to get the most healing in.



She was pretty proud of all her work.  I was too!



Saoirse helped me with the carrots.  I made up a batch of fermented ginger carrots, and we peeled and chopped the rest for the freezer.



She was wanting to cut the carrots, and I let her cut a couple.  I hate this stage where they really, really want to help by cutting, but they are just riding that fine line of ability to do so!



Moira joined in the peeling, chopping fun!



I've said it before, I really love the sunlight streaming into my kitchen.  I tried to capture it, but wasn't exactly successful. This was the closest I could get.



There was some serious multi tasking going on today!!  If not for myself, but with all my 'servents' running at once.  You can see some of the works in progress above.  By tonight I will have cooked 6 roaster chickens, bottle about 4 gallons or more of broth, have yogurt fermenting over night, 2 bags of yellow onions chopped and put in the freezer, 1/2 gallon of fermenting ginger carrots, 8 pounds of carrots peeled, cut and put in the freezer, 10 pounds of apples turned applesauce, 1/2 gallon of fermenting cucumbers, 2 quarts of fermenting salsa, 2 quarts of fermenting green bell peppers with onions, almost 2 quarts of ghee made, a few bunches of bananas put in the freezer, and a 3 pound bag of almonds soaking to be dehydrated tomorrow.  PHEW!!!



Now this is a beautiful site.  I can only hope they taste as good as they look :-)



You can see some of the dill floating in the cucumbers, and the yummy ginger and garlic in the carrots (there is garlic in with the cukes as well).


There you have it, my day in a nutshell.  I am worn out!  The girls are still going strong.  Flannery is currently cooking some banana pancakes.  After I debone the chicken I am contemplating making a hot cocoa as it will be a long time before I can have it again.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...