Thursday, August 26, 2010

Our week

So we finished our first week of homeschool. Yes, I know it is only Thursday, and no we are not running on a four day school schedule.  It's just that I have an appointment with my midwife tomorrow and the girls have their last summer book club meeting which means that our school day will not happen.  Fear not, I thought ahead and we got everything done in the four days so that we didn't have to fall behind in our first week of school.  So far things have still been going smoothly.  We most certainly did not follow the schedule one day but we still followed the flow of the day and got everything in, just got it done much later in the day.  No biggie.  The younger girls are still wiggly during reading time.  Our reading time is not long at all, they are just out of practice in sitting still.  I can tell they found our Shakespeare reading interesting, but they tried not to let it show :-)  I happen to be in the same room with the older girls while I was reading Shakespeare to the younger girls and the older ones wanted to know right away what I was reading.  They stopped what they were doing to listen!  Too funny.  It was one of Shakespeare's comedies.  They thought it was quite outlandish, all the drama! We are still waiting for the girls math DVD's to come in.  Thankfully we usually just skim the first dozen or more chapters as they are review. 

Jeremiah had one of his wisdom teeth pulled today.  Not a pleasant experience to be sure.  He was in pretty rough shape an hour or so afterwards.  Four Advil did nothing to relieve the pain, swelling and discomfort.  And on top of that there was a lot of bleeding. A lot.  Not profuse, but constant.  So hours later with still no relief from the pain I decided to try two homeopathic remedies.  The first I gave was arnica for swelling, bruising and pain. Minutes later he was asleep.  Now that is not anything odd as he was already drowsy and headed for snooze land. But he did sleep soundly for a couple of hours.  One of the things that intrigues me about taking a remedy during an acute event is that the person will fall in a deep sleep when given the correct remedy. Now clearly this sleeping could have been coincidence.  However when he woke up I gave him the second remedy, hypericum.  That is supposed to help with deep puncture wounds.  Well fifteen minutes later the eight hours of non stop bleeding came to an end.  Coincidence?  I think not.  Homeopathy really does work that fast.  (There was still some bleeding, but very, very noticeably reduced.)  Not only that but when I told him to take his next round of remedies he said he didn't need it.  He wasn't in any pain or discomfort!  That is pretty amazing. We'll see how he fairs later tonight. 

Jed's speech therapist called and we have days and times for his speech for the school  year.  The good news is that they are all at the same time!  Phew!  The bad news is that is in the middle of the day.  Oh well.  I have to say I am not looking forward to three days a week being out mid day.  But it's for the best and we will make it work.  I am excited to see what his therapist thinks of Jed's progress. If you remember I was a bit nervous for the long break and wondered how he would fair. I really didn't want to see any regression. Not only was there no regression but Jed has made improvements!  He can now say some sentences!  Things like:  "I want more ice cream."  "Mom, I play computer, please?"  This is pretty huge seeing as how when we left off of therapy our goal was to work on him putting two words together!  Don't get me wrong, he still talks a lot using single words.  But with some prompting he is putting two or more words together on a daily basis.  And all of his sentences are from Jed alone, no prompting. 

There is more I would love to write, but I am getting sleepy.  We have a long day tomorrow so I need to get to bed so I can be ready for it.

1 comment:

Tracy S said...

Very nice!!! I wish I was a schedule kind of person sometimes. You make it sound so easy, though I know it is not! :) I can't stand doing the same thing everyday....routines go out the door here at our place! So I stopped trying! Hope the flow continues!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...