Thursday, September 29, 2011

very, very sick

Just like all things that have happened this year, it just gets better and better, well in our case, worse and worse.  I was battling a sinus infection.  It would get better, than worse, then better, then....well you get the idea.  I finally found something online that seemed to be able to eradicate it.  I started the protocol.  In one day the ear pain and post nasal drip disappeared.  It was a ten day treatment plan.  However four days in was when I ate the egg whites.  That was bad, really bad.  It laid me flat for three days.  In those three days I only took one or two pills a day instead of the 4 I was supposed to take.  After the three days I was nauseous.  I was assuming it was a left over effect of the egg white episode.  Each day I was eating less and less, until the third day when I couldn't eat anything due to the very site or mention of food making me ill to my stomach.  We had a theory of what was going on, but now, looking back I think it was just a coincidence.  Basically my sinus infection got out of control.  You have to understand that I don't get the typical sinus infection symptoms, which is why I didn't catch on to what was happening earlier.  By now I am totally weak, my heart pounding with any movement, and a bunch of really odd sensations.  Last night I figured out what was going on, not until I almost went to the ER.  Yes, the ER at 2 AM.  But there was a life saver sitting in our kitchen.  Jeremiah has this powdered sports drink.  I think of it as his fancy-dancy sports drink.  Me being the very supportive helpmeet (cough, choke, sputter) that I am I questioned him as to why he needed such a fancy-dancy sports drink.  I mean what did they use before sports drinks?  Hmm, yeah, very supportive (rolling my eyes at myself!).  Well, that sports drink saved my life.  In all seriousness I don't recall having ever been sick to the point of thinking I was going to die.  Last night, I seriously thought I was going to keel over.  No I'm not being dramatic.  It was very scary.  I prayed, and soon after the thought of "electrolytes" popped into my head.  I thought, how am I going to send Jeremiah to the store at 2 AM when I was seriously afraid I was going to keel over any moment?  AHHH, the fancy-dancy sports drink.  He got up to make me a quart of it.  I sat in bed and took two big sips every 10 minutes.  Drinking it all at once would have not given my body the time to absorb it, and also I was afraid of putting it in my tummy may make me vomit.  It was one, VERY, VERY long hour.  It took about an hour before I felt the change.  I was able to fall asleep.  I woke up about an hour or two later and did another round of the drink.  It totally saved me from an ER trip.  Don't get me wrong I would have gone had the drink not worked, but how in the world do we handle Jeremiah driving me to the ER, with kiddos at home at 2AM?  Yeah, not a pretty thought.  I wasn't the one to call the doctors this morning, but Jeremiah got him to send in a prescription without an appointment.  It's only for amoxacillin.  I am hoping that since I haven't had antibiotics in six years that this will work just fine.  The sports drink is most certainly not on the diet.  But it was that, or.....And taking a round of antibiotics is certainly not going to help with my gut.  But there really wasn't any other options.

I am still very weak.  I had a baked potato last night, again not on the diet, but, it really, really hit the spot.  I didn't get sick on it either.  For now, the diet is out for me (with in reason, I don't plan on eating cake or anything like that).  I have a baby who still gets 90% of his food from me.  I know my supply has gone down, and it's due to the illness, not the diet.  But now my body is fighting to keep up my milk supply, which takes the nutrients from me, as I try to heal.  So I have to find a way to get a bunch of food into me.  I lost 4 pounds in four days.  This is NOT good.  It's going to take me a few days to regain my strength.  Everyone else is still on the diet.  We don't plan on abandoning it, but for me, temporarily I need to get food into me.  And I seriously get very ill to my stomach with the mere site, smell or thought of chicken of beef.  I'd go with a salad, but the fibre would be too much, and I need calories that a salad won't be able to provide.  So far I've had a baked potato and some tomato soup.  I've kept it down.  I used some instant potatoes, and didn't feel too good afterwards.  So I'll have to take the time to bake one the next time. 

Things here have been a bit chaotic as you can imagine.  Thankfully, after explaining to the girls how sick I am and that I really can't get up to do anything, they picked up the slack and took care of the things needing to be dealt with.  I am hoping that by the weekend I will be well enough to get on with life. 

Jed had his first speech therapy session.  It went well.  Jeremiah was able to take him, as I can't drive right now.  The therapist said that he talked much better than what she was expecting.  So I suppose that means he has made some progress over the summer.  She would have gotten her information from his last therapist.  We are in the process of finding a private therapist close to the girl's science class.  That would save us from making two separate trips a week. 

We have been able to keep up with schooling.  I think we will only be behind on one reading, which can be done over the weekend.  Jeremiah said he will do the younger girls' reading this evening.  I can't read for long as I seriously get worn out from it.  The older girls can do their own reading. 

I am very grateful for Jeremiah's help during this time.  He's had to do the cooking.  He is really committed to this diet, and working hard to see that we succeed.  I am very thankful for that.  We went into stage 5 this week.  With shopping day tomorrow we will try some more foods.  When I get over this infection and off the antibiotics I will not redo intro, I plan on joining everyone on the full GAPS, which is where they should all be when I'm done with my meds. 

Off to put a potato in the oven :-)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...