Saturday, September 01, 2007

We are home

We are home from the hospital. Although we almost didn't make it out yesterday! My sister came with me to the hospital. We actually got in on time and they took him back for the procedure 15 min. before they told me it was scheduled for. I had assumed that the time they gave me was for when they would start all the prep work. So I was pleasantly surprised that things went much faster. They said it should only take 25-30 min. They told us that for the endoscopy as well, and that had took over an hour. So once again I was surprised that they called us into the consult room after 25 min. The doctor said things went soooo well that it was scary. He said it was the easiest one he had ever done. Wow, I thought, I hope his recovery goes just as smoothly. But NO it had to be one of the "hardest". Ugh. Jedidiah was really out of it for quite some time. It took them a while to get us a room. We got up there around 4:30 or so. He was running a bit of a fever in the recovery room, which is not odd, but something they needed to keep an eye on. They gave him and IV antibiotic, so it should not be an infection I was told. So all evening he was sleepy. Then the night time fun began. He was a bit fussy and needed meds, then he spiked his fever. It went up to 102.9! The nurses and docs were concerned. They gave him some tyenol but that didn't help it come down, so they were more concerned. So the doctors (residents really) wanted a blood draw. Not a big deal, except for the fact that it was 3 AM in the MORNING! And Jedidiah was SLEEPING. I asked them about how he could have an infection if he was already on antibiotics. I mean, if he has an infection wouldn't they keep giving him the antibiotics anyways? And if it was a viral, there wasn't anything they could do? Um, yeah, I'm just a lay person, I obviously don't know what I am talking about (actually I was right and they were being incredibly silly). And I would have stood my ground, but it was 3 AM. So they tried in his foot, ,but no go. Then they had to do an arterial stick in his wrist, no go....then they tried his other wrist, they got just enough for their "all needed test". Thankfully Jedidiah was still really out of it. He was crying, but not hysterical. Then he was able to go back to sleep. He woke up around 6:30 or so and I decided to jump in the shower. He started crying and crying. And crying....and crying...pretty much all day. It was really more of an on and off thing. Crying for 10-20 minutes and then sleeping for 10-30 minutes and start over. It was from the gas pains. They had to inflate his tummy with gas for the procedure and what goes in has to come out.... He was in more pain from the gas than from the procedure. Due to his fever there was a scare that we might not have been able to go home that next day. That would have been BAD. The girls would have freaked out! But thankfully his fever broke by the afternoon. Then he was able to have his feedings go well, and I learned how to care for the new tube and the guy from our home health equipment company came to give me the pump and other supplies. And then we were able to leave! We had an awesome nurse who was doing what she could to get us out of there.

And I came home to a very clean house! Uncle Joe put all those kiddos to work! My sister and brother in law unfortunately found that we have a mildew problem. We can't smell it at all, but my sister is VERY allergic to it and could smell it on our clothes and towels. It was a bit of a blow to find this all out at this time, but a blessing as well as this may be causing a lot of "issues" that various family members here in the house have. It may even be a reason for Jedidiah's issues! We won't know for a while since it will take a lot to get rid of it. It will be especially hard since we can't even smell it! We won't know if what we are doing is working...until we see some changes in allergies around here I guess.

We are so thankful for my sister and her family for coming. It was soooo great to see her kiddos. All the kids got along great and had so much fun. Their help was so very much appreciated and needed. Jerry was able to work on Thursday and then he and Joe watched the kids on Friday. We got home around 7 or so last night, maybe later. Jedidiah was still doing his crying thing. He looked so pitiful. He was already all puffy from all the IV fluids and his eye's were all purple and puffy. I thought he may never get to sleep. But after a few lullabies from auntie Tracy he was off to la-la land and slept ALL night long! Yeah! And can I just tell you I LOVE the new pump. Right now for the next few days I will have to get up once to just dump some more formula and then I can go back to sleep. But the new bags that will be sent to us will have a pocket for an ice pack, so I just hang the bag and put it on and can sleep ALL night long too!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!

Ok, I better get going. There is some grocery shopping that desperately needs to get done. Thank you to all that have prayed for Jedidiah. Please continue to pray that the site heals well and that he will have no future complications from it. THANK YOU!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...