Friday, May 14, 2010

Dynovox...

So I opened our BCBS mail today to find out that they did indeed deny our request for the Dynavox.  It was expected.  So I made a couple of phone calls, because I didn't remember where we were to go from here.  The Dynavox rep told me that his company got the news last week and they already put in a request for a review to the "people higher up" in BCBS.  We are supposed to hear back from them next week.  Mr. Rep said that they have built some relationships with the higher up people, so we may get our "yes" from them and be able to proceed to getting the device.  If not, then we have to file a formal appeal.  Although they have had good success from their appeals, it just means more waiting.  And waiting is hard when Jed will not continue talking to me, once he's got my attention by calling out 'ma', until I look directly at him.  That includes while we are traveling, while I'm in the middle of tending to something in the oven, etc.  He does that because he knows that I can understand him better when I am looking at him, seeing any additional signs he makes to go along with his words.  The thing is he won't stop calling my name until I look at him, even if I am driving the van!  I try to explain, every single time, that when mommy is driving I can't look back at him or we could crash.  Doesn't matter.  I'm hoping that the Dynavox will help in those (and many, many other) situations.

I have some big posts coming up, but we've been in the middle of year end testing here, so they have been on the back burner.  Lots of changes planned to take place.  Once the testing is out of the way (we have two girls that need to take one more part tomorrow morning, yes on a Saturday...we're so cruel that way :-)) and I make some headway in getting my house back in order, I will write.  Until then have a great weekend, and if you think of it, say a quick prayer that Jed's Dynavox comes through.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...