Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Amazing things happen when you go sugar free!

So it has been quite a month! The first month of the year we were all sick. I would say we are totally better, but we are not quite there. We are back to normal as far as how everyone is acting, and what we are able to accomplish each day, but there are still small signs that not everyones body has fully recovered. I have a big post on our endeavor to pay off our debts and being frugal coming up sometime soon. But for this post I had to share how we have been affected by going sugar free. Due to our illness we went totally sugar free, even including fruit. It was only until we broke free of the dreaded illness that we had to go to that extreme. This past weekend we started adding fruit back in. The girls were delighted to say the least :-) We are remaining free of any processed sugar, save honey, and free of any milk products. With the milk there are two exceptions, one being a little buttermilk in our pancakes, and the other being a small amount of keifer that I will be adding to our green smoothies.

So has there been any noticeable changes with this diet change? YES!!! All positive!!! The two older girls have been very excited to see, not only on the scale, but in how their clothing fits that they have lost weight. Isabella has so far lost 12 pounds and Moira has lost 8 pounds. And, no, there have been no limits placed on the amount of food they are allowed to eat. As a matter of fact, food quantities were a problem with Isabella in the past. That child was *always* hungry. All the time! She would sneak food. Every time you turned around she was eating. I knew this wasn't a matter of disobeying, but something that was out of her control. Now she is eating half the amount she used to. I still can't get over it, and I will ask her if she wants more, to which she replies, "No, thanks, I'm full now." It is something that even she has noticed. Moira just put on a pair of jeans today that were given to her second hand. Not two weeks ago they did not fit her, and now she can get them on. They are snug, but she was so happy to see the progress that has been made. We had a small amount of Parmesan cheese left and I told the girls they could have a little bit on their noodles at lunch today. Moira, knowing that one of her problems with weight is due to dairy, said she didn't want to compromise her progress. Wow!

Flannery has been our sugarholic. This child would cry if we didn't have enough syrup for pancakes. You have heard people say, "Would you like some tea with your sugar?" Well for Flannery we would say, "Would you like some pancakes with your syrup?" I was totally surprised when I made pancakes for the first time in almost a month to see Flannery gobble them down. Why? Because there was no syrup on them! I only let them have fruit (thawed strawberries or blueberries). Not only did she gobble them down, but she didn't even complain when I told them that they could only have fruit on top as there wasn't going to be anymore syrup. Plus Flannery is eating foods that she once shunned. She is now asking for beans when we have them. She is also eating rice. She still does not like salad....maybe one day :-)

I have spent the past few days trying to catch up on all the house work that went undone the past month. We are almost done! Today I hit the kitchen. I cleared out the fridge of any leftover no-no food items. We had flavored yogurt, jelly, cheese and some items with corn syrup in them. Out they went. My fridge is very clean now :-) I still have a very long list of things that need doing. Some of it is preparing to be frugal. I am excited to share our new adventure with all of you later. Although not everyone here seems to be really excited. You'll find out why soon. But I do know that a great weight will be lifted when we are free of our debt. And for that we are willing to adjust how we do things around here. I have been waking up early this week and so I need to hit the hay. Have a great day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...