Well, at least a half family of hats! I've been busy whipping up a bunch of hats to keep everyone warm. It's been trial and error to get some of the sizing right. Since I wanted just a very basic hat, and didn't want any bells and whistles, I went with the 'base' of a hat that I made a couple of years ago. No problem. Except I was working off of memory, and what I know of crochet. The first hat I was making was for Aubrey. He wanted a gray, green and blue hat. I made it all up and put it on him. Too big. So I tore it out until I got to the increase rows and took a couple of increase rows out, and made it back up. But, being a wee bit smarter this time around I decided to try it on before I had it all finished. Too small. Ugh! Jeremiah suggested I try it on Merida. A perfect fit. But not the perfect colors, since I had gray, blue and green. Jeremiah suggested I finish it off with a pink trim. And ta-da, it looks great!
It was back to the drawing board for Aubrey's hat. I now knew how many increase rows to do. I started the first round in gray, like the above hat. Aubrey walks in and exclaims he no longer likes gray, and wanted a rainbow hat. He proceeded to point to ALL of the yarn I had and said he wanted each of those colors. Hmmmmm. Alrighty then. So I made him a lovely striped hat. The only problem is I don't have a picture of it. The picture is on Flannery's camera, and it is a joke trying to get the pictures downloaded. I decided to take more on my camera, but now his new hat is missing in action. Oy. I am sure it is right under our noses, and when it turns up I will take a picture of it.
On to Jonah and Jed's hats. Jonah wanted a gray and blue hat. Jed wanted a white (I had cream), and green hat. I got those made lickety split.
Those were pretty basic. And I made them that way because I know my boys. Not two days after I made these we went by a display of gloves in the store (and they needed gloves!!), which came with a hat. Yup, they are wearing their new black hats, which match their skeleton gloves. Sigh. I am sure they will wear these hats above throughout the winter, but I knew enough not to put a ton of time on something my boys are very capable of loosing, destroying, or lose interest in. So I balance the reality with my desire to create things for my family :-)
I had already made Moira a bear hat. It came out great, and everyone who saw it loved it. Problem is, I got it finished a few hours before she took off to NY, and didn't get photos of it before it went missing. I am thinking that maybe I should have some sort of cable attached to what I make and it's owner? She says she remembers wearing it one time after NY, and that she put it back in her room. You, know, the black hole of a bedroom. No, actually, their room is not in bad shape, which makes this all the more perplexing.
Ok, so on to the last hat (so far) that I have made. Any more hat making will be put on hold as I will be tackling my first knit sweater. Not only do I not usually knit (though I know how), but this sweater will be for Jeremiah. I chose what seems to be a basic sweater, with what looks like clear instructions. We shall see how it goes. For my hat I wanted something colorful. My wardrobe consists of green, brown, green, a bit of blue, green, more brown, green....um, yeah. So I made a rainbow hat for myself. I really liked how it turned out. Since my hair is so poofy, I can live with the spaces that are in the granny pattern. Ha, ha!
There you have it, a half family of hats.