Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Still here!

Wow, time flies when you are trying to catch up!!  So, so, so much going on over here.  After that bought of illness things just haven't been the same.  And that really needs to change because we are getting nowhere in life....very quickly I might add.

So for many years now I've wanted technology to take a back seat in my kids life.  But, as it stood, I was the only one who wanted that.  We had a go at it some 7 or so years ago, and it was an amazing time.  After the first two weeks of tech detox, which means there was weeping and gnashing of teeth, my kids actually discovered that life was possible without a computer.  They were reading a ton, fiction and how-to books, they were being creative in ways they never had been before. They actually interacted with each other as well!  It was great.  BUT, that all ended when everyone kept badgering me about watching a movie here or there.  And that was the end of that.

Fast forward 6 years later, and my boys do not know how to think for themselves.  They can't be still and thoughtful for more than a few minutes at a time before their brains hurt.  And my girls think that they can not live without a cell phone.  Between being in survival mode for the past year, and the house falling apart, I knew it was time for things to change.  And this post, from Facebook, totally inspired me:

Childhood in the Raw

You can visit her page from this article.  There was a news story on this family and the newscasters were concerned about the kids living without computers since we live in a tech entrenched world.  Really?  I mean, REALLY?  The one newscaster was saying how his 5 year old knew how to download apps already.

Sooooo, if a 5 year old can do it, don't you suppose that when these kids get older that they could figure it out too?  And there is abundant, I mean **abundant**, studies out there about how children's brains work.  News Flash:  Kids need REAL, HANDS ON experience for their brains to develop appropriately.  Computers are NOT real nor hands on experience.

This is one of the reasons we chose the type of educational philosophy that we did.  But the world crept in.  And it is sad to see.  So I wanted that to change.  I decided to have a:



The 'screen free' is obvious.  The 'junk free' is being free of junk food.  With this past year being one of survival mode our nutrition has totally gone down the tubes!  Now, it didn't get sooo bad that we were buying boxed cereal, but it got close :-)  We need to clean up our diets as I am seeing a direct result in poor quality diet and the kids health, behavior and energy levels.

I am not sure if we'll survive it all, but I need to make an effort at least!  I mean, just 3 months (90 days) without screens or junk.   There are a TON of projects that need doing around here.  A ton!!!  I made a video of that, and once it's edited, I'll post it, or link to it.  I'm not sure if I can embedded videos on here anymore.

Wish me luck!  I'm gonna need it.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...