Wednesday, February 04, 2009

videos, clarification and a "new" found gadget

VIDEOS
I uploaded the other three shorter videos. I put a link to our channel on my sidebar under favorites, Southern Peaches Channel. One video is of Flannery attempting to balance on her bike. She is learning to ride it. The other is a silly little video of some Indian girls :-) And the last is a little game the girls and I have been playing lately. We memorize large selections of scripture as a church. We have not been diligent with the most recent selection, the ten commandments. The girls and I had memorized the ten commandments themselves in the past, so I haven't been too concerned. But this time we are memorizing the whole chapter, which includes a bit of an introduction before you get to the commandments themselves. We have been reading the whole chapter each day and then saying a verse or two at a time, multiple times. The other day one of the girls wanted to see who could say the first two verses the quickest, and this was our little game. So that is what we are doing in the video, racing to see who could recite the verses the fastest. It was fun, and by the next day all the girls had those verses down pat!

CLARIFICATION
I believe I need to clarify a few thoughts about my post on our new diet. I believe I do only because even my dear hubby did not understand what I was saying with my spoken words, and I know with out a doubt that my written word is even more muddled. One of the reasons that the post focused on meat was because in my conversations with people over the years about diet meat is always the hot topic. You could tell someone that your family is cutting back on sugar and they will nod saying how they really should do that too. You could tell people that you need to cut out caffeine and you'll get people telling you that they really wish they weren't dependent on their daily cup(s) of coffee. But if you mention that you are cutting back on meat.....lets just say that it brings a different sort of response. It usually has people raising their eyebrows, bringing up scripture that says meat is OK, or they will defend why there is no problem with meat, that their great grandfather ate meat everyday and he lived to be 120. So I naturally talked a whole lot more about our meat change than anything else because of that. Now I am probably going to even mess up my clarification :-)

I believe in the sufficiency of scripture. What that means is that I believe that God speaks to every area of our life in His word, whether directly or in principle. And I try, although I know I fail miserably, to bring all that I do under scripture's light. That goes for whether our girls get their ears pierced, what house we bought, what clothes we wear and even what food we should eat. Scripture is clear that God gave us meat to eat. Period. So therefore meat is a good thing....at least it should be. The points I addressed were that I don't believe meat was intended to be eaten at every meal, nor everyday. Now this is where we may differ and that is fine. Because no where are you going to find in scripture that you should eat "X" amount of ounces of meat per so many days. We are not going meat free, just drastically cutting back. This may seem totally off topic, but hang in there with me. My friend Bethany had a great post recently on head covering. She made some great points at the end. She said that we can both read the same scripture and come away with a different conviction. And that is OK. But there are many people who won't even think about the issue, never the less look into it once the topic is brought up. My point here is that I did look into scripture about this, and my take on it may differ from others, but I am at least making an attempt to see this issue in light of God's word. That doesn't mean I am right though! I am going to use an illustration. And as illustrations go they always break down at some point. I can already hear the objections in my head on using this illustration, but it is the only one I could think of. Lets look at meat and marriage. Yes, I said marriage. God gave us both. He said marriage was a good thing. However if you look at society and sadly even at the church some may say otherwise. Marriage IS good, it is just what WE do with it! And so it is I believe with meat, God gave it to us, so we must assume it is good, it is what we do with it that makes it bad. I know I mentioned a bit of that in my original post so I am not going to repeat it here. So the natural conclusion may be to just eat organic meat. And that is something we will be doing. Just much less quantities. We have bombarded our bodies with a host of chemicals and junk and I am attempting to heal our bodies from that assault. By the way there are other "big guns" of assault on our health, probably much worse than meat by far, and yes, I am ridding them from our house as well. Some of those being refined sugar, white flour, food colorings, food preservatives, MSG, and other such things. Again, meat was just the one thing I knew that people would make an issue of. As far as trying to heal our bodies, fruits and veggies are the best options. I am sure you could probably get some pills to do that, but that would be a whole other post, because as some of you know, I'm not really into pills :-) Now you need a lot of fruits and veggies to really improve your health. Again, we are trying to heal, not just maintain. There is only so much room in our tummies so something things in our diet will have take a back seat so that the veggies and fruits can take the front seat. Some of these things won't be making a comeback into our diet....such as the sugar and food processing chemicals. But we are planning on getting some milking goats and chickens, for eggs and I think it may be cheaper to raise them for meat as well, we'll see. But again, fruits and veggies need to be the mainstay. Meat will start coming into play more after the allocated year of healing, but more as a side dish and not the main fare. And some may be wondering what we will do if we are invited to other people's homes, or in the case where our church puts on functions and we each are to bring a certain dish...some of which may be meat dishes. I would never tell anyone that we don't eat meat if invited to their home. Whether they are eating pork, fried food, or are dishing up a wonderful tasting (white sugar laden) dessert, we would eat all of it, love it and be thankful for it :-) If we are asked to bring hot dogs to church we would do so without question. This is not something I plan on making an issue of outside our home. But, here in our house, I will be attempting to make our meals as healthy as possible. We just have too many health issues for us not to make it an issue! I do hope this clears any up misconceptions. I am hoping I didn't make any more misconceptions in the process!

"NEW" FOUND GADGET
With our diet we adding in more nuts and seeds. With children who don't always know what's best for them I have to be sneaky and add them in so that they do not notice. Nuts and seeds can be ground up to be added to many things. My blender does not do the best job of making it into a powder. I had heard of people using a coffee grinder for this purpose. While at Walmart I figured I would check them out. At 15-20 dollars I wanted to see what went into these things. And by golly it was a mini blender!!! One of which I already had!!!! My Magic Bullet!! I got home whipped it out and by golly that thing was great!!! It ground my nuts and seeds to a fine powder. I am a wee bit excited, can you tell? :-)

OK, off to whip up breakfast. Although the girls are having a blast with the Magic Bullet, whipping up their own breakfasts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will try to check out the diet for my daughter with JRA. My biggest problem with her is compliance. She is 17, almost 18, and I battle with her on diet. She is currently on methotrexate and we have lowered the dose so that her hair isn't falling out anymore, but she has lost another 5 pounds and only weighs 105 and is 5'4".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...