Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A new blender

For some, a new blender wouldn't be post worthy :-)  But I am very excited, as are the children!  Funny the things we get excited about.  I should say though, this isn't the normal blender that we get.  Yes, we go through blenders every 18-24 months (No joke!!).  I use my blender daily.  Sometimes multiple times a day.  Presently we are using it about 3 times a day, if not more.  Our current blender has many, many issues.  It is on it's last leg.  Every once in a while, if liquid gets into the wiring (from a hole), it shorts out and can not be used for hours or days at a time. 

I've written before about how I buy things (appliances or other bigger ticket items) on the low end of the scale (performance for example) to  make sure that I will actually use it.  It would be silly to buy a big ticket item, use it a few times, and then have it sit in my cupboard for months at a time.  With my wheat grinder I had a $20 used machine that could only grind 3 cups of flour at a time, with a total of 6 cups to be done before you had to let the machine cool off.  I used that for years before it became evident that I was going to work it into the ground.  So we made the jump to an Electrolux mixer. 

I did the same thing with our camera.  After years of using a good quality camera, and trying to do more with it than was possible, I was able to get a Canon 40D.  I wrote that the one exception was our dehydrator.  I did indeed have a Nesco $35 model from Walmart that I wasn't really using a whole lot.  One reason was because I didn't know what was possible to do with it!  :-)  The other was because I didn't know that the Nesco had accessories, like the mesh screens.  It never accord to me to even look for something like that.  After watching some videos on dehydrating I just *knew* I wanted to dive in.  So I took the dive and got an Excalibur.  I am very thankful that my 'rushed' purchase of the dehydrator was not in error.  I've been using my dehydrator constantly.  There are days where it isn't being used, and then there are days in a row that it is going non stop.  I am actually using my Nesco as well since I have been doing sooooo much with the dehydrator I needed more room.  I will post about that work soon (GAPS related).

All of this to say.......we made the plunge and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of our new Vitamix blender.  We have all seen this machine in action at the demos that are held in Whole Foods.  My kids have been asking if we can get a blender like that for months now.  I've been eyeing the Vitamix for years now, and now with our 6th..8th?  blender in that many, it was time.  We decided on a red colored model!  Ha, ha.  It will really stick out in my kitchen. 

I want to also add that all my big ticket items, with the exception of the Electrolux, were bought used or refurbished.  And when I say, "I", got them, it was my hubby that did the work of looking and comparing what was out there.

We have been crazy busy over here.  GAPS intro throws a wrench into your life in a big way :-)  All of my time has been spent cooking, preparing, cleaning, repeat.  I didn't think of taking any pictures of some of the things I've been up to, but I will try soon, now that we are getting a wee bit more settled into GAPS. We still have a long way to go since things are still crazy, but we are starting to make progress in the right direction.  It helps too that I don't have 5 children at my feet crying that they are starving!!  No joke that they were crying, complaining, whining, 10 minutes after E.V.E.R.Y. meal/food/snack/etc.  All.  Day.  Long.  That made for some very, very, very long days.  Phew!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...